- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS -
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Regional Office “Dialogue Eastern Europe” invites journalists, bloggers and media activists to apply for a workshop addressing the “thin line” between journalism and activism and its meaning for high-quality and socially-responsible reporting. The workshop will take place from the 12th until the 16th of September 2021 in Kyiv (Ukraine). (Please note that dates could change due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and possible restrictions related to it.)
The last decade was marked by dramatic movements which arose as an expression of disagreement towards political decisions, social and environmental challenges, and the violation of human rights. Since mass media report political events to the public and thereby increase their scale and impact, they take on a decisive role in the discourse. This also applies to the EaP Region and its media.
But how should journalists report on developments with which they sympathize? Should they stay neutral and observe or should they make their sympathy public and, in the most extreme cases, become activists themselves? How do journalists deal with the pressure they are exposed to from various sides? Is there any “right” or “wrong” here?
Our seminar will take a closer look at these and other related questions. We will meet activists, politicians and media experts from across the region, try to find the “thin line” and learn how to deal with these difficult situations.
• The working languages of the workshop are Russian and English
• All costs related to the program will be covered by the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
• Participation is mandatory during the entire three-day program
• Citizenship of one of the Eastern Partnership countries
• At least 2 years of professional experience in a media outlet
• Fluency in Russian and/or English
• Motivation to work on related issues in the home country
• Willingness to contribute at least one media product on related issues after the workshop
• To apply, please fill in the application form.
• The application deadline is August 8th 11:59 pm (Kyiv time).
Applications which are submitted after this deadline will not be accepted.
• The results will be announced on August 18th. Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an online interview.
• FES aims to ensure gender balance of participants in the program.