→ Extension of application deadline till September 6
Elections in Eastern Europe - a Test for Democracy
Dialogue program and training for young leaders who are active in progressive parties or youth organizations, young members of parliaments or city councils, junior government officials and civic activists from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Germany, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The FES Regional Office “Dialogue Eastern Europe” invites young progressive leaders aged 25-35 years to apply for the 9th Eastern European Academy for Social Democracy. Our event will take place from 26th September until 2nd October 2021 in the Republic of Moldova (Chișinău and its surroundings).
Our 9th Academy for Social Democracy will focus on elections as a test for democracy in the Eastern Partnership Region and Russia.
Democratic elections can only take place if there is voting takes place in a free and equal environment. But particularly in crises, this is endangered and democracy is put to the test. Issues like a lack of trust in political institutions, manipulation of information and public opinion, e.g. through social media, as well as increasing populism and nationalism threat democratic elections.
In the countries of the Eastern Partnership and Russia, these challenges are particularly severe, since they remain at different stages of democratic transition. A transparent, fair and accountable election process has not yet become a political normality. Furthermore, the absence of clear and consistent party structures puts single charismatic actors in the center of political competition.
Nevertheless, several countries are on a promising way and especially the younger generation pushes the democratic idea – in some countries more, in others less. Therefore, we want to encourage an exchange of young leaders with our academy. We will put elections in the Eastern Partnership countries and Russia to the test and discuss issues and challenges, but also successes, on the way to democracy.
In the course of a diverse 5-day-program, participants take part in discussions with top experts, politicians and activists about election-related issues in Moldova and the wider region. Moreover, the participants will have the opportunity to develop soft skills and learn how to reach a consensus in a politically diverse environment.
Goals of the program:
- The academy primarily aims to motivate applicants who are committed to social democratic values and who are interested in promoting the political dialogue between the different Eastern Partnership countries and the European Union.
- In addition to the facilitation of peaceful dialogue, a mutual understanding, and the exchange of views on social democratic policies, the academy offers participatory workshops on practical key competences and soft skills.
- The program will give deep insights into the political situation in the region and will provide the opportunity for high-level discussions with politicians and civil society activists.
- The academy is based on a growing sustainable network of Eastern European future leaders who enable dialogue among young, committed, and progressive participants being open to new ideas and approaches.
- Our academy takes place in different countries several times a year focusing on various topics and workshops
- The program consists of science- and experienced-based inputs as well as interactive discussions with top experts and decision-makers from Eastern Europe.
- During the past academies, participants developed soft skills in trainings such as strategic planning, conflict-management and training of trainers (ToT) or participated in simulations and scenario workshops.
- The working language of the program is English.
- All costs related to the program will be covered by the organizers.
- Citizenship of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Germany, Moldova, Russia or Ukraine.
- Between 25 and 35 years old.
- Young leaders from progressive political parties or youth organizations; young members of parliaments or city councils, junior government officials and civic activists.
- Willingness to actively take part in Alumni activities, to constantly support a growing sustainable progressive network of like-minded people and to be involved in the organization of political programs in the respective home countries.
- Participants of previous academies are also welcome to apply.
- To apply, please fill in the application form and submit your CV (it is obligatory to indicate your name and surname in the file) to the following address: andrii.makarenko [at] fes-dee.org (the application is complete only if both documents are submitted on time).
- The application deadline is September 6th at 11:59 pm (Kyiv time). Later applications will not be accepted or evaluated.
- Our decision will be announced on September 10th. Shortlisted candidates may be invited for a skype interview.
- The organization team aims to ensure a gender balance.
- Please note that dates may change due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.